Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Progress or Regress?


In high school I refused to take the secretarial courses my mother thought I should. Shorthand and typing. Good skills to fall back on she said. I preferred fine arts classes such as Drama and Painting. Skilled receptionist that she was, Mom couldn't allow her daughter to be a hunt and peck typist. So she found my brother's old text book and taught me herself.
While I'm not the greatest typist in the world, I do enjoy it and, thanks to my mother of blessed memory, I place the right fingers on the right keys. However I couldn't tell you how many words I type per minute. Does that count include backspace and delete?
About a month ago a friend suggested that a good old typewriter might help tighten the writing. And he's entitled to his opinion.
If I had to go back to the old fashion way, I'd not only have to own stock in a white-out concern but a paper mill as well. Do I regret not taking those secretarial courses? Not at all at all.
Viva la Computer!

No comments:

Post a Comment